Things to Do on St. Simons Island
Here, if we were to play “favorites” for our towns, St. Simons Island would be at the top of our list. From beautiful historical sites to family-friendly attractions, incredible dining and nightlife to unbeatable scenery and year-round warm weather, St. Simons Island truly has something for everyone.
Activities & Tours
The Golden Isles climate and weather allow visitors to enjoy a variety of outdoor activities such as kayaking, fishing, biking the St. Simons Island Trail System, horseback riding, golfing, or relaxing with your toes in the sand on East Beach. Visitors can tour the island’s historic sites on a variety of transportation options, including the island's ever-popular guided trolley tours through the island.
Looking for a day out with the whole family? Visitors and residents alike enjoy cooling down and engaging in a little outdoor recreation at Neptune Park and its Fun Zone water park, which includes a public pool, miniature golf, and a fishing pier. Or take the whole family on a treasure hunt to search for the famous St. Simons Island tree spirits!
Grab a Golden Isles Visitors Guide or check out our St. Simons Island map and tour on your own by car, or rent a bike and cruise the island’s extensive bike paths. If you want to sit back and enjoy a more guided experience—try one of our tours.
With so many things to do on St. Simons Island, it could be difficult figuring out where to start. We've gathered our top five favorite things to do on St. Simons Island to help you plan your perfect escape.
Discover your favorite attraction or activity on St. Simons Island!
St. Simons Island Beaches
St. Simons Island is home to three popular public beaches: East Beach, Massengale Beach and Gould's Inlet. At both East Beach and Massengale Beach, you'll find ample parking and restroom facilities, including areas to rinse off sand and salt water when it's time to leave. At Massengale Beach, you'll also find shaded picnic areas complete with grills, as well as a playground.
Each of St. Simons Island's beaches are pet-friendly! Dogs can enjoy these beaches year-round, although there are limited hours during the summer months. Learn more about our Georgia pet-friendly beaches.
And if you're looking for even more beach fun, dive into our Complete Guide to Beaches for a full breakdown of every beach found here in the Golden Isles. Plan the perfect beach day with The Tent Guys SSI. This local rental company has tents, chairs, beach games and more, and will even set it all up for you!
Explore things to do from the video above:
St. Simons Island Fun Facts
- Originally built in 1820 and restored in 1884, Christ Church is one of the most-photographed locations on St. Simons Island. (Just look at the stained glass!)
- If you drive to the northern end of St. Simons Island, make sure you get a peek at the 600-acre maritime forest open space, Cannon’s Point Preserve!
- St. Simons Island is home to Fort Frederica National Monument, which was originally established in 1736 by James Oglethorpe. Today, visitors can still explore the archaeological remnants in the area of the Battle of Bloody Marsh, which ensured Georgia’s future as a British colony.
- St. Simons Island is home to one of only 5 operating lighthouses on the 100-mile Georgia coast!
- There are more than 20 unique faces carved into trees around St. Simons Island – and visitors can search for and find seven of them on public land all around the island!
More St. Simons Island Experiences
Request a Free Guide
Plan the perfect trip to the Georgia coast with our Golden Isles Visitor Guide. Find trip inspiration, must-visit sites, and experiences not to be missed.