Cassina Garden Club Slave Cabins

  • 100 Arthur J. Moore Drive, Next to Epworth By The Sea
  • St. Simons Island, GA 31522
  • 704-236-5309

Hamilton Plantation, owned by James Hamilton, a native of Scotland, was located on Gascoigne Bluff near Fort Frederica. The Bluff was named for Captain James Gascoigne, commander of the British sloop “Hawk.” The Bluff became a storehouse for marine supplies, ship repair facilities and in effect, was Georgia’s first naval base. Hamilton Plantation was a working plantation, producing long staple Sea Island cotton along with oak and pine timbers.

Of the several tabby slave cabins built on the plantation, two remain today. They were constructed of tabby, which is a concrete-like mixture of lime, sand, water and oyster shells. The mixture is poured into wooden frames to harden. The cabins were divided in the center by a fireplace, thus creating two rooms that housed two families. Glass windows and wooden outside doors indicate that these cabins were probably living quarters of slaves that were high in the privilege hierarchy.

Cassina Garden Club began meeting in these cabins in 1932 and was deeded the property in 1950. As owner of this beautiful historic site, the Cassina Garden Club has carefully restored and preserved the integrity of the cabins and displays many artifact and graphical histories.

The cabins are located adjacent to Epworth-by-the-Sea, a Methodist Conference Center. General Oglethorpe’s secretary, Charles Wesley and his famous Anglican clergyman brother, John, considered by many the founder of the Methodist Church, trod these grounds. All of this property was formerly part of Hamilton Plantation. Not surprisingly, this beautiful historic property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior in 1988.

From June through August, visitors can tour the cabins each Wednesday from 10:00am - 12:00pm. The cabins are also open for tours the first and third Saturday from March through November from 10-noon.Private tours can be scheduled in advance by calling 704-236-5309. Tours are free of charge, but donations are gratefully accepted. 

  • Family Friendly: